Do you have early risers in your community? This program can be used as a pre-breakfast activity. Cut the front panel of a cereal box into puzzle pieces. Then discuss breakfast cereal memories as you solve the puzzle.
1. Cut the front panel off of two identical cereal
boxes. Tip: Use cereals that are available in your community.
2. Turn one panel over and draw straight intersecting lines on the back using a pen and straight edge. The lines can be diagonal, horizontal, and vertical. The more pieces, the more challenging the puzzle.
3. Put all the pieces in a resealable bag for storage.
4. Give the player the bag of puzzle pieces and the matching uncut panel.
5. Remove the pieces from the bag and place them faceup on a table.
6. The player can try either of the following:
7. For an extra challenge, try putting the puzzle together without using the uncut panel.
While assembling the puzzle, discuss breakfast cereals.
|Group Size||Time of Day||Duration||Acuity Level|
1 on 1
Small (2 - 4)
Medium (5 - 8)
|Morning||15 minutes||Assisted Living
Food & Cooking
Dementia, Depression, Hearing Loss, Isolation
Create puzzles for each person and label resealable bags with a person's name. Give players their own puzzle.
For a one-on-one or self-directed program, bring materials into the person's room.
Make this activity less challenging by cutting the cereal box panels into large puzzle pieces. (The fewer pieces, the less challenging the puzzle.)